Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I have an RV that is parked in my side yard behind a gate.

Customer Question

Hello, I have an RV that is parked in my side yard behind a gate. You can still see the top half of the RV above my gate. My HOA is saying this is a violation and that I will be fined $50 initially and then $10 dollars a day. Is this legal? I own the property and the RV is behind my gate...it is not on the street or in my drive way.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: Livermore, California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I was sent an email.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The email is a courtesy reminder.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.
Such penalties are only valid if the rule is contained in their rules and disclosed and the fees are reasonable. Practically I would ask to see the rule and if confirmed comply to avoid escalation and dispute. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"

awaiting your reply, thank you.