Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Landlord dispute and he removed all of our belongings out of…

Customer Question
Landlord dispute and he...

Landlord dispute and he removed all of our belongings out of the house without our knowledge.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Missouri

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I'm guessing so. We do not live in the state, we were waiting for household items to be packed and moved to Texas. My husband was at the house on august 12th and noting on the door, he goes back on August 26th and we have a Missouri Notice of Abandonment of Leased Premises on the door dated 8-8-17. He sold the house and we had until 8-31-17 to be out.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

His notice claims we would receive notice by first class mail. He does not have my address in Texas, he has never asked for it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago
Michael Bradley

when does the lease end?

were you current on the rent?

Started August 1, 2016 ended July 31, 2017. Paid $1000 for first month rent and $1000 for last months rent. He agreed to allow us to have August at $1000. His claim is we have unpaid rent for 30 consecutive days. That is not true. July would have been our last month which I paid when I leased the home. We had been emailing back and forth on the 8th of august and he did not mention any of the above or that this was going to happen.
August rent check went out on August 1st. My bank called me last Wed to inform me that the check had been returned back to them. I had my husband go and get the paperwork he left on the door to find out he has moved. When he took our belongings he took the contract with him.
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

has he said where your stuff is at this point?

Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

why was the august check returned to the bank?

was the august for 1000 deal put in writing?

the $1000 was for August and the writing is through an email. Yes check was returned to the bank.
We have no earthly idea where our belongings are at. He will not call back, text back or email back. It is not like I haven't tried to reach out to him. We have many antiques, jewelry, important papers, photos, etc. He has it all. No warning to us.
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

I am confused by it being returned to the bank? was it NSF or did the landlord actually send it back to the bank?

It was returned since his address changed and the check was no forward.
He never let us know that he had a new address. He now lives in a total different community than when we signed the lease agreement.
My new company is paying for the moving of our goods and I don't know what to tell them except I need to hold off.
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 8 months ago

is the stuff still around?

Tina, Lawyer