Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I currently have a 1St and 2nd mortgage on my house. They

I currently have a 1St...
I currently have a 1St and 2nd mortgage on my house. They are both privately financed. We are under water and have been trying to get the 1st mortgage refinanced with our lender/friend. She refuses stating that in her late husbands will, it has to be agreed upon with all of his children. This is a lie. He had 6 kids but only 3 are in the will and they all agreed. How can I get her to lower the interest rate? It's currently 7.5%
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: Paperwork for?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm thinking of just not paying the mortgage for a few months to see if it will make her drop our rate. Is that a bad idea?
9/7/2017
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. No, it's not a bad idea; in fact, it's a really good idea. This is the tactic you would take with a bank and it's the same tactic you would want to take with a private lender. As long as you are current on your loan and continue paying, the lender really has no incentive to modify your loan because they don't think that you will actually default. Only when you are in default and their choices are to foreclose or modify your loan do they then really have to make that decision. The only issue you have is the fact that you have 2 loans. Even though your house is underwater, if the value is sufficient to easily pay off the first mortgage, then the first mortgage lender is more likely to foreclose because the first mortgage lender gets all the proceeds from a foreclosure sale before the second mortgage holder gets anything. If that's the case, you might want to consider getting a loan modification from the second lender (to either lower the interest rate more and/or reduce the principal to offset the higher interest rate on the first mortgage) because it's the second mortgage lender that risks losing out in the event of a foreclosure.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer
Thank you for your help.

You're very welcome. It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!

Richard, Lawyer