Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

How to get someone off my commercial lease? Virginia, oh yes…

Customer Question
How to get someone...

How to get someone off my commercial lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Oh yes me and my ex signed the lease for our bar.. but need to get him off.. he has no stake in the business.. I am the only one that pays the rent.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I am assuming that he won't voluntarily agree to be removed from the lease?

.

How long is the lease?

.

Will the landlord work with you on the situation?

./

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The lease is 5 years
The person wont voluntarily sign off
The landlord will work with us, he gave us a lease addendum for the person to sign but obviously he wont voluntarily sign it.

Ok, then unfortunately you can't force him off if he won't agree to terminate his interest. But if the landlord will work with just you, you could arrange to stop paying rent, let him evict you and the ex, and then you agree to repay him the back rent and he signs a new lease with only you.. Meanwhile you just continue running the business as usual.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much