Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
11313492

My son recently leased an apartment and the night he moved

Customer Question

My son recently leased an apartment and the night he moved in it was clear when he was awakened by a roach crawling on his face that there was a roach infestation. He killed multiple roaches and took pictures of them.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California, The next morning he packed up his stuff informed the management company that he was leaving and not returning. He found temporary housing and has now found a new place to move to.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: They are refusing to let him out of the lease even though they asked him to return the keys. This is causing him loss of work, emotional and financial distress. They new there were roaches they had recently treated the apartment for them but they still expected him to move in and accept the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Thats good for a start.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No paperwork has been filed this all happened starting last weekend and just today they told him they would hold him to the lease until they re rented the apartment even though he no longer has keys. He is presently paying for a hotel, has to find a new rental and is losing time at work.
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.
On review of your facts, you have a good case. There is no basis to contest your position, which apparently is simply being pursued in bad faith against facts and law. As they breached his rights he rightly cancelled and can seek compensation. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you
Very welcome.
Kindly rate me five stars.