Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If I signed a years lease with my landlord for 6,000 a

Customer Question
If I signed a...

If I signed a years lease with my landlord for 6,000 a month, and I had to leave for medical reasons and other reasons 2 months into the lease how much am I required to pay?? I offered them 3 months which comesw to 18,000 and they want 4 months which comes to 24,000. The lease says I cannot sublease the condo and I would owe the years amt due. WHAT DO I LEGALLY Have to pay them in Atlanta

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Real Estate Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Atlanta georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That all me and the landlord are going back and forth bc I want to pay 18,000 and he wants me to pay 21,000.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.

Does the lease have any provision for early termination?

no

I attempted to accept your phone call request and received the following message:

"Payment for this service failed, please do not fulfill yet. We will attempt to reach this customer to fix the situation."

If you can resolve the problem (it is usually just a matter of confirming with your bank or credit card that the charge is authorized) I look forward to speaking with you.

Otherwise, I am happy to continue online with you.

can we email here

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, your lease is binding and enforceable for the lease term stated in the contract. Therefore, without a provision in the lease providing a right to early termination or landlord breach (constituting constructive eviction), you are liable for the payment of rent and other obligations specified in the agreement until the end of the lease term. Your medical issues, I am sorry to say, are not legal grounds to cancel.

So, you have a few options. First, you can try to find a new tenant to either be a subtenant or assignee of your lease.

Next you can try to negotiate a lump-sum settlement of the remaining balance on the lease.

Finally, and most risky, you can just move out without a new tenant or settlement, and hope the landlord can relet the space quickly.

The last option puts you in breach of the lease and subject to damages if the landlord sues and prevails.

With regard to the first two options, if you find a new tenant or reach a settlement with the landlord, it is most important that the terms be in writing and signed by the parties so that it is enforceable in court.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels and incurring additional liability.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!