Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I stopped paying rent 2 months ago because our plumbing and

Customer Question
A/C is not working the...
I stopped paying rent 2 months ago because our plumbing and A/C is not working the way it should. I just read that i should have still been paying rent. My landlord died in Feb and his wife is threatening to evict us. Im not sure of my rights in Texas, any tips?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: i got a certified letter today saying im behind on payments and have until 9-1-17 to pay her or she will be going through with the eviction paperwork
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: im ready
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont have a lease, it expired March 2014
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Rent payments are still owed in this matters. The A/C repair issue as a separate matter.

Tenants have the option to repair and deduct http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/texas-tenant-rights-repair-deduct.html

Where in Texas is the rental property located?

You are also on a month to month lease once your lease expired.

This link sets out how you request repairs and how to repair and deduct http://texastenant.org/repairs.html

Are you online with me?

Are you asking how to stop the eviction?

Tina, Lawyer