Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I stopped paying rent 2 months ago because our plumbing and…

Customer Question
I stopped paying rent...

I stopped paying rent 2 months ago because our plumbing and A/C is not working the way it should. I just read that i should have still been paying rent. My landlord died in Feb and his wife is threatening to evict us. Im not sure of my rights in Texas, any tips?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I got a certified letter today saying im behind on payments and have until 9-1-17 to pay her or she will be going through with the eviction paperwork

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Im ready

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I dont have a lease, it expired March 2014

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

Rent payments are still owed in this matters. The A/C repair issue as a separate matter.

Tenants have the option to repair and deduct http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/texas-tenant-rights-repair-deduct.html

Where in Texas is the rental property located?

You are also on a month to month lease once your lease expired.

This link sets out how you request repairs and how to repair and deduct http://texastenant.org/repairs.html

Are you online with me?

Are you asking how to stop the eviction?

Tina, Lawyer