Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am looking to understand homeowner responsibility for tree…

Customer Question
Hello I am looking...

Hello I am looking to understand homeowner responsibility for tree damage to a neighbors yard My son's neighbors tree fell into their back yard

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In North Syracuse, NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

He called his homeowners and started a claim they said their neighbor should also file a claim

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They are in process of getting quotes on the Fence and shed damage and tree removal cost

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.
As a general rule, trees falling are considered Acts of God and no liability would attach to the owner of the tree unless the knew or should have known that the tree was diseased or otherwise in danger of falling. That is the standard for establishing negligence and what is needed to establish liability.
So, if there is no negligence to be found, each party would be responsible for their own damage and make their own insurance claims if coverage is available.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer