Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Can an HOA that was administratively dissolved legally

Customer Question
charge dues and late fees...
Can an HOA that was administratively dissolved legally charge dues and late fees for the years it was "dissolved"?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/6/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.
No, they can not enforce any contractual obligations for dues, or any other contract, for a time when it did not exist, unless its board and members elected to continue operating as an unincorporated association. Otherwise, they would need to reinstate to charge dues.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
They have since reinstated (July 2016) but is listed with the state as being dissolved in 2009. Once they were reinstated (did not have a formal meeting with members to vote or do so) can they charge for that point forward or from 2009 until present?
They can charge from 2009. They just can not enforce any obligation to pay while they are dissolved. Once they correct whatever caused the dissolution, they can enforce all payment obligations again.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer