Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Is mortgage company responsible for transferring insurance

to themselves after modification?...
Is mortgage company responsible for transferring insurance to themselves after modification?
9/6/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

thanks for the education

Insurance on a home is the responsibility of the homeowner, even though the mortgage contract provides that the mortgage company shall pay the insurance premiums. So the homeowner was responsible to make sure the homeowner's insurance was up to date at all times. It is not the mortgage company's liability to deal with the homeowner's insurer other than send payments if the mortgage contract called for them to do so.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

they never check to see if they are listed as losspayee on their 210,000. loan? Even car company's do this.

Thank you for your reply.

That is up to the homeowner to provide information. It is still the homeowner's liability, as it is their primary coverage, the mortgage company is only a secondary payee. If you HAD insurance and the mortgage company tries to charge you for insurance when you had insurance in force at the time, you can fight that because it was their error for not asking you for the information and if they insist on trying to charge you, then you can sue for negligence in not validating the insurance coverage with you before placing their own coverage, which they did have a responsibility to do.

They charged me since March for insurance that was cancelled
Phone call session started

Please answer the phone

Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer