Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

RE: Selling Lot of land in Ohio to Utility Company. I

utility company third party agent...
RE: Selling Lot of land in Ohio to Utility Company. I utility company third party agent negotiated a sale price for a lot I own. I thought I would simply sign a deed and get my payment. Next thing I get is some document to sign from the utility company that says, "OPTION for the sale of Real Estate." The option is 6-months and can be extended for another four months. Does this sound reasonable? Possible 10 months for me to just hang out and wait for them to do their due diligence and contingent upon receiving approval of the location by state electric board. Does this sound normal? FYI: The price they offered, after hard negotiations, is probably over fair market value.
9/6/2017
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

It is not unusual. However, you should be paid for giving an option to purchase. An option is not a final sale. Are you receiving money to sign the option? In other words, you are holding back from selling the property to another person, so you should be paid to do so. And if the option is exercised you would receive the full sales price. If you want to discuss further, let me know.

I'm giving up option to sell to others for 6 months with power company offering $5k earnest but entire earnest is refundable if for any reason they choose not to buy lot with numerous contingencies like land testing, utilities board approval etc. Let's say purchase price is $50,000 for the lot of land. What % or amount is normal as non refundable deposit? I believe utility company also has 4 month extension option. From how contract reads I could even up with $0 after 10 months if they back out...seem fair? I'll push back if necessary

These deals are negotiable. The option price is usually nonrefundable even if the other side pulls out. That's the whole purpose of giving an option. We can discuss more if necessary.

Hello. I have not heard back you. Are you still looking for help on your question? If so, please let me know. Thank you.

Hello: I am following up to see if you still need further help. If so, please let me know. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars so you can pay me for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney