Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Neighbor's tree fell on my garage - damage is moderate -

Neighbor's tree fell on...

Neighbor's tree fell on my garage - damage is moderate - tree was old and dead for quite sometime - I I know I never sent a formal documented complaint was sent to neighbor - maybe another neighbor or tenant of neighbor with tree may have - what recourse or options do I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No not yet - actually I am the tenant of the landlord whose garage was hit...I am making inquiries on her behalf while she is getting damage estimates and talking with the neighbor - the neighbor happens to be a property management company

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The tree should have been taken down a long time ago - it fell in also in a driveway area and parking area behind and next to the garage...thank God no one was hurt or killed...it could have been much worse what with vehicle and foot traffic through there.. also three cars (not ours) were damaged

9/5/2017
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

What recourse do I have?

The neighbor is responsible for the damage caused by their tree. It does not make any difference that you did not advise them in advance that this could be an issue. Are the neighbors aware of the situation?

The neighbor either pays for the damages or the neighbor can be sued for the damages.

They are aware the tree fell - I can't answer if they were aware the tree was dead and a potential danger - they are a property management company

I see. Thank you for the clarification. They are responsible. Have you sent them a certified mail letter return receipt requested seeking payment for the damages?

Can you add anything else or any other advice?
No not yet...my landlord was getting estimates on the damage first...wouldn't it be better to have a lawyer send the letter? Wouldn't that add more "weight" behind it?
Are you still online to answer the current question?

The initial letter is needed for proof if this matter goes to court. That being said, if you prefer having an attorney draft a letter that will certainly get their attention.

Where did this occur so I can provide a link for local Attorneys that provide FREE consultations in your area?

Thanks. ***** 91030.

This should be covered under the neighbor's insurance policy. One moment please.

Please provide the link. Thanks.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Thank you for your consideration.

Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney
Thank you so much for your assistance. Is there anything else before I sign-off?

Thank you.

Was there a problem?