Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
11313492

I am in California and justfinished the eviction process on

I am in California and justfinished the eviction process on a tenant. I have foundout she has been a horder and the house is ruined with dead animals in cages in the house as well. We have started to clean the house and the insurance adjuster will be there tomorrow. What is the best way to deal with the insurance company.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California andit is with Nationwide in.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes the sheriff has pictures and animal control came a got the birds left to die in the house. I was an eviction for not abiding to HOA rules and failure to abide with rental agreement. The outside was littered but we neversaw the inside until wedid the lock change with the sheriff..
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The guys in cleaning one has pulled out and the other has hasmat gear plus the fire department also knows as does the neighbors

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

The insurer and you should identify full scope of damages and expenses and seek recovery. You then can pursue the tenant for the balance caused through demand and if needed lawsuit seeking the balance, collection costs and interest. Having a timeline of events, photos, inventory list helps present the case more easily both in demand and if needed court.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am worried about the insurance co not honoring the claim.

Insurer has to point to a policy exclusion. Otherwise must cover and you can sue insurer.

You separately want to pursue the tenant for the full amount, so you stand to recover from at least one of the two avenues!