Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I want to find out existing liens against a property I am

Customer Question
trying to buy...
i want to find out existing liens against a property I am trying to buy
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The best way to get that information is to contact a local title company and have them run a title search on the property. That will bring up all liens, loans, encumbrances, and anything that might be a cloud on the title so you know exactly what you would be buying and if there are any big problems with it. You can usually get a title search done for around $100-150 and it is well worth the money because if you buy a place without knowing what the condition of the title it, you could be buying a pig in a poke..

.

.

thanks

I already hired a title company but I am not sure if they found out all the liens as I used the following link to search and I see many more companies and banks involved.
If I give you the property lot number can you please find out the existing leans ?https://www.browardclerk.org/Web2/CaseSearch/Results

Unfortunately a title search is not something that can effectively be done online.. It takes an actual visit to the land records office and the taxing authority's office and usually the assessor's office to actually physically search the land record and tax books to find any liens or encumbrances and then cross reference them with any releases that have been filed.

.

So if you hired a title company they have E and O (errors and omissions) insurance that would cover you in the event of anything that they missed and make them liable for the cost of getting any issues cleared up..

.

.

thanks

do I have to sign some kind of agreement with the title company to benefit from the E and O insurance?
if I give you two cases can you look them up on the web site and just tell me what you think of those cases?

No, that is basically malpractice insurance for title companies.. They have to carry it to cover themselves in case they make a mistake.

.

And unfortunately, you would need a local attorney to give you a title opinion about the condition of a title as that would cross the line over into legal representation and I am not allowed to enter into an attorney client relationship with customers under my agreement with JustAnswer.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer