Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

On Staten Island, can neighbor construct 6 foot chain link…

Customer Question
On Staten Island, can...

On Staten Island, can neighbor construct 6 foot chain link fence directly on property line? possibly encroaching onto my property?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Staten Island, New York

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No just day laborers constructing the fence

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The fence is also obstructing my view of the ocean.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/1/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.
I am sorry to hear of the problem, but I think I have information you may find useful.
So, your neighbor can install a fence on or up to the property line. Anything over the line, and on your property, is an encroachment and you have the legsl right to demand they remove the encroaching fence portion from your property. If they refuse then you can remove it and send them your bill from the contractor. If they refuse to pay, you can sue them in small claims court. Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.
I would suggest, before you start removing their fence, you do have a survey done by a licensed surveyor to confirm the encroachment because you will be liable for the damages if you are mistaken.
You can also contact the local building dept to send an inspector and confirm the fence complies with local code. If it is in violation they will order its removal or remediation and cite the owner.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!