Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have an easement question- Our neighbors have an easement

Customer Question
over our property for road...
I have an easement question- Our neighbors have an easement over our property for road access. they use it to go to their campground behind us. Can they drive unregistered vehicles on our property (their son who is under 18 and does not have a driver licence yet has a loud ATV and now has a loud pickup and is using it on a daily basis)
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: california. truck is old, may be pre-smog (pre 1974) but i am not sure
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: doesnt have a muffler
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no this is the immediate questions as it has been happening on a daily basis now
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/31/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 3 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. The answer depends on the language used (or not used) in the easement.

1) If the easement is specific as to what vehicles are to be used, then they cannot, assuming the language bars them from using such a vehicle.

2) If the easement is not specific as to what vehicles can be used, then arguably they can, because they can utilize whatever method is reasonable to use the easement for its intended purposes, which includes using an unregistered vehicle. There is no rule that says a vehicle may be not be used on an easement unless it is fully compliant with local registration law.

HOWEVER, if it is the NOISE that bothers you - something can be done about this. Reply and let me know, and we can discuss.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law