Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My neighbor is constructing a 7 8 foot fence along the

Customer Question
My neighbor is constructing...

My neighbor is constructing a 7 8 foot fence along the boundaries which will end up making my property look unslightly...all this trouble started when his 80 pine tree fell across my lawn and I took him to small claims court and won a judgement against him...he hasn't talked to me in 4 years now this fence is degrading to my property what can I do

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much for this conversation?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/26/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.

As a general rule, so long as he follows the local code, he is free to erect a fence on his own property without your permission.

What you can do is confirm if a permit is required and that he has taken one out if it is.

You would want to call the local building department.

Also, you may want to order a boundary survey to confirm he is not encroaching on your property.

Otherwise, I am sorry to say, he is legally within his rights to erect a code compliant fence on his own property.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer