Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I'm looking to buy a Pre-Hud mobile home in Cottonwood

Customer Question
Jane, My name is*****'m...

Jane, My name is*****'m looking to buy a Pre-Hud mobile home in Cottonwood (Yavapai) county for my daughter who is mildly disabled. If I would have to sell this at a later date, can a pre-hud Manufactured home be sold on the existing lot? The unit is on its own lot, not in a park. Thank You very much

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sorry, AZ

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

The usual disclosures, I have not made an offer on it yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of at the moment

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 day by:
8/25/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Irwin Law, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer

Hello. Perhaps I can help although this is not in my particular area of expertise.

Generally, if a manufactured home is attached to the lot on a foundation, it becomes part of the real estate and can only be sold as such. Therefore, you would have to consider purchasing the lot and the home would go with it. If the manufactured home remains fully movable, they usually can be sold separately and removed. The first thing to do is check with the County zoning authorities to be sure that the way that the home is currently situated is legal.

I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If so, a 5 star rating is hoped for. Please let me know how I can further assist you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

I'm aware of general requirements. The sate of AZ laws allow moving a mobile home built to pre-HUD specs (June 15, 1975). Some counties restrict state laws even further. Example, in Mojave county you cannot move a pre-HUD to another lot. This unit is in Yavapai County. I cannot find an answer on resources available to the lay person. I was hoping to find a legal source that has soft ware where the could find the regs for Yavapai county. My question was specific to Yavapai, a rural county w/ limited customer service resources. Honestly this response moves the question no closer to finding a solution-seeker / problem-solver.

I think you need a local real estate or mobile home lending specialist in Yavapai County rather than someone on line.

I don't know if you ever came across this reference for Yavapai County or not: http://www.yavapai.us/devserv/customer-service-and-permitting-division/manufactured-modular-factory-built-and-park-models

Doesn't the second sentence answer your question?

What I am saying is that the pre-HUD mobile home on a single lot might be illegal, or perhaps it is grandfathered. It will take some research to determine which it is.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer