Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
7286322

I am interested in bidding on a piece of real property

I am interested in bidding on a piece of real property scheduled to be auctioned by the IRS. The IRS has provided a list of encumbrances on the property including a municipal real estate tax lien and several others.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Sorry, hit enter too soon. This is located in NH. Is it unwise to participate in these auctions with known encumbrances on the property. I have done a little research on quite title suits. We would plan on making this our residence.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: The auction is scheduled for the end of the week. The IRS has this property listed on their website along with the list of encumbrances.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that about covers it.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

It is unwise, in that the buyer will be responsible for the inherited encumbrances. In addition, the individuals/municipalities/etc behind the encumbrances may move to foreclose on the property soon after. In other words, unless the IRS can guarantee clear title, it is simply NOT worth the money in 90% of the cases.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the answer. Why would someone bid on this property? The list of encombrances is over $1,000,000. Owner was in serious trouble.

Because this is what the IRS does. And some millionaires/investors/etc have money to burn, thinking paying off the money encumbered may be worth it in regards ***** ***** property growing in value later on. It is a risk.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its unusual in that the property is being auctioned with the requirement that it be owner occupied. Can't be an investment or rental property. IRS has indicted a minimum bid that equals about half of the property's market value. The property has been unoccupied for several years and will need serious rennovation.

Right, but the IRS really does not have anything else to do with this property. The standard is to auction off any property, so this is what they are doing.