How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 38198
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When filling out a grant deed to add my wife to it, what is

This answer was rated:

When filling out a grant deed to add my wife to it, what is the title of the grantees? WOuld it be community property with right of survivorship? Is it joint tenancy? I want to make sure my wife gets the property if anything happens to me.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.


You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer and you are under no obligation to accept.


If you want to both be owners of the property with the surviving spouse becoming the sole owner when one of you passes, then you would want to list it like this "***** ***** and Sue Smith, married, as joint tenants with right of survivorship".





Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what is the difference between community property with right of survivorship and joint tenants with right of survivorship?

Nothing really... just joint tenants is used throughout the US while community property is only in states where community property rules apply. But in CA either will work exactly the same.

Barrister and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you