Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

They have the sane maintence man working there since i lived

there i believe they mold...
They have the sane maintence man working there since i lived there i believe they mold has been to their knowledge abd they just continue to paint over it and cracks, i mengioned i was very concernef with it on the airvebts the msintence man told me not worry they can clean the vent, i said well concern is it is through all duct work he denied that would be possible, i have pictures and been keeping documentation of everything as well as receipt
8/16/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. The offer is not from me. While I am happy to speak to you, there is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.

What is your question, my friend?

I have been at tenant at oxford manor apartments in mechanicsburg pa managed by morgan properties for about 6 years living in two different units, the current unit had buckling walls shortly after mold started spreading out of the wall rapidly, my previous unit had buckling walls as well but the mold never got expoded outside the wall like my current unit, i figured the wood was just warpedfrom the sun, but that wasnt the case, my children ranging from 2-9 sufferi g bloody noses constant colds, the younger child
Wasnt sleeping at night, eyes swelling burning, sore throats, etc., i did further looking into the home and flund more mold and is black mold, throughtout the home on my airvents, wet spots on lower walls, and believe there is huge infestation, i asked for the mold report but thry have still yet sent me it, my neighbor also told me there was buckling walls in there bathroom and the maintence man for the company told them not to worry about it, it was due to cheap wood, i informed him i believe they are wrong abd my walls started out like that before the mold starting being exposed out of the wall, they also do yearly walk throughs to make the apartments abd towehomes are habitable living conditions, which was very unfortunate they didn't consider that being dangerous,
They have the sane maintence man working there since i lived there i believe they mold has been to their knowledge abd they just continue to paint over it and cracks, i mengioned i was very concernef with it on the airvebts the msintence man told me not worry they can clean the vent, i said well concern is it is through all duct work he denied that would be possible, i have pictures and been keeping documentation of everything as well as receipt,

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of the problems.

Every tenancy carries with it the implied warranty of habitability and the right to quiet enjoyment of the premises in exchange for the rent.

If the landlord is refusing to make necessary repairs and it is interfering with the use and habitability of the leased premises then you can sue for breach. In the course of the suit you may be able to leverage an early termination with the return of all deposits.

A riskier way is to move out now and declare the lease terminated due to "constructive eviction", due to the premises not being habitable (you do have to actually move out to say the premises is not habitable). In other words, the action or inaction of the landlord has made the premises unhabitable and you are forced to move out.

You still have to sue and the risk is that the court finds the premises WAS habitable and you end up being liable for breach.

Make sure you have a written record of the damages and your request for repairs.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Well they are only fixing the one problem the wall and will don't do air quality test for me, we have been out the home for a week now and the mold is so bad the place needs gutted And mine isn't the only unit
They keep minimizing the problem and I feel if they had real inspectors come out the building would be condemned I just don't know who to contact
May I send you some pictures
My two year old suffered tremendously she was at the doctors twice last week the smell of the mold gives u instant headache

Of course, I will look at the pics, but I think you need to get out of there and sue the landlord.

That's what I'm trying to do but having a hard time finding someone represent me as being the tenant

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

We're u able to view the files

Yes. Looks pretty bad.

I feel I done endless reaching out figured I try this just don't know if I got a case

Which state?

Pa

If the claim does not exceed $12,000, you can sue in small claims court.

Small claims court is designed to be a "user friendly", simplified process, so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

I was just looking for representation I feel the whole thing is messy, did you look at the photos

Yes, the photos look bad. If you can not find an attorney sue in small claims court yourself.

Ok just nerve tackling never done it before

It is a more relaxed process than regular court. It is designed to be user friendly.

All you need to do is go to the clerk of the court and get the forms. They are basically fill in the blank.

Ok do you think I'm i keep trying someone may represent me I'm pretty sure the whole complex it like this ... covering it up for years, do you see it worth it to Go after them is there enough envied mec

Yes, an attorney would be helpful, but you always have the option of small claims court.

Ok I'm guessing I'm going to have to try paid consultation only contacted free consultation attorneys

Not necessarily. Try the Martindale link I provided and call around.

Did you have further questions before you rate my service to you?

Still online with me?

ok thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer
Hello I believe I found attorney, and got mold test results back the rest was taken from a vacuum canister from what was found should I keep presuming this issue, they told me they cleaned my air vents and never did
I would recommend you follow whatever your attorney advises.
Ok I haven't be assigned to one yet, as I went through legal shield
Then I would continue to pursue the claim with the attorney you are assigned.
Ok thank you
Loren, Lawyer