Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am in escrow on a new house in Los Angeles. I am

Hi. I am in...

Hi. I am in escrow on a new house in Los Angeles. I am concurrently selling my house, though I don't have that as a contingency on the purchase of the new house. The loan process for the buyers on my current house has been delayed a little bit. I've been told it's all approved, and they expect to get the CD today, then the loan docs to sign in three days. My realtor on the new house is trying to get me to release my inspection and loan contingencies once the buyers on my current house sign their loan docs. But I'm worried that something might go wrong between the signing of the loan docs, and the actual close of escrow and receipt of the wire of funds. Once the buyers of my current house sign the loan documents, am I safe? Or can the lender always retain some power to pull out or cause other delays?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Californi

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

We've done lots of paperwork. Not sure how to define what has been "filed" vs not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's about it. figured it was pretty cut and dry question

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/15/2017
Richard, Lawyer

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

ok thank you

Good afternoon. Once the loan documents are signed, then the lender is pretty much locked in. I can't promise you a buyer won't back out prior to closing for some reason, but if the buyer were to do so, the buyer would be in default and you would have the right to retain their earnest money deposit. Once the buyers sign, however, that's as much assurance as you can usually get that the deal is going to close other than the actual closing.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Lawyer

Thank you for the 4-star rating. I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time. It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.