Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Im a home owner sense 1985 in the same house we had a permit…

Hello im a home...

Hello im a home owner sense 1985 in the same house we had a permit for accessory living area down stair my parents live down stairs sense 1985 we have never been bothered my the building inspectors office up until two years ago he keeps send me appliction for yearly certification of faimly accessory living area i thought the permit we got back in 1985 was good until i sell this house ??? or is it every year??

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Peabody mass

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No i have not filed the appliction

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Why are they sending me these letter to apply

8/15/2017
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Peabody Ordinances specifically require yearly certification from the owner occupied applicant that the family member still resides in the accessory living area is required annually (Ordinance 4.7.3). Once the family member leaves the accessory living area, the permit will be revoked.

As a result, you are going to have to keep providing these yearly certifications.

I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today!

ok so they are yearly then ?

Yes, it is yearly

with in the year if my parents left its revoked ?

Yes, if during the yearly certification, the family members are no longer there, then the permit will be revoked.

is my apartment grandfathered in sense it was built in 1985 ?
ok thank u for your help

No, there isn't anything which provides for it being grandfathered in.

Please remember to provide a positive rating!

Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer