Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I do have a question. I live in an apartment (assuming month

to month) that is paid...
I do have a question. I live in an apartment (assuming month to month) that is paid for by the company I work for. My company just informed me two days ago that the apartment complex wants to repossess the unit in 30days. (no reason specified). I have not received anything in writing. We have lived in these apartments for 18mos. By CA law isn't 60days writtien notice required?
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: not to my knowledge
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. I just want to know my rights since I am not the one paying for the unit directly, but I am the resident. I am still under contract with my job.
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/13/2017
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Thank you

Good morning. Yes, if a tenant has resided in a month to month rental for over a year, the landlord/owner would be required to provide them with at least a 60 day notice, if they wanted to terminate the tenancy and take back possession of the rental. Unless and until the proper notice is given, the tenant does not need to vacate and could have a defense, if they remain and the landlord tries to evict and has failed to comply with the proper notice requirement.

even though the company I work for is renting the unit for me as part of my contract/wage with them the same laws would apply? I assume it is month to month since I am a travel nurse whose contract are 13 weeks long. I keep extending and have done so since Jan 2016. Would they need to give written notice to my company or to me directly?

It would be to all those on the lease and in possession of the rental. Even though your company may rent it, they would still need to have you as a tenant, listed on the lease agreement ,since the landlord needs to know who is living there.

my whole family and I are listed on the rental agreement. Is the written notice they need to provide for me posted on my door or would I need to be served?

They could do both, as the purpose is to place you on notice and they would want to make sure you received it. They could post it and mail it certified mail and even hand deliver it to you.

RealEstateAnswer
the 60days start when I receive that notice?

The 60 days has to be given prior to the start of the month or when the rent is due. If you pay rent on the 1st, it would have to be given prior to.

Great thank you

You are welcome

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer