Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Our condo in Goose Creek, SC was several,times flooded

Customer Question

Hi. Our condo in Goose Creek, SC was several,times flooded ruling bottom kitchen cupboards, kitchen tile and dining room carpet. Dealing with HOA has been unreasonably slow. Can I hold the regime few somehow legally, and have the work completed by my own contractors? If so, how do I go about this?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state the association is in?
Customer: SC as far as I know. The members are residents.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: I've just made calls, my husband went to a meeting. That resulted in New drainage ditches half way around the building. They are balking at indoor fixes.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that my first complaint of water seepage was back when Columbia had their major problem, second was hurricane Andrew, last was just a heavy rain.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 months ago.

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

It sounds like the cause of the flooding was something that occurred outside the unit. Is that true? And if so, is the HOA admitting it is their responsibility to cover the cost of damages? It sounds like it is willing to cover some damages but not all damages. Is that correct? Also, did you and/or the HOA have insurance? And if so, what do the companies say?

Hello. I have not heard back you. Are you still looking for help on your question? If so, please let me know. Thank you.