Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My husband passed away last July and the hospital sent a…

Customer Question
My husband passed away last...
My husband passed away last July and the hospital sent a bill. I called to explain to them that he was deceased and there was no estate or money to pay the bill. The next bill that came, they changed the bill and put my name everywhere his name was on the previous bill. I never filled out any paperwork or signed anything at the hospital. Can they do that?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/11/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Did you ever sign anything stating you would be financially responsible for your husband's medical expenses?

.

.

thanks

No I never filled out any forms or signed anything.
The new bill makes it look like it is my bill. It doesn't even reference his name as the patient or anything.

Ok, then from a purely legal perspective, there is a statute in VA called the "doctrine of necessaries" that makes one spouse liable for the medically necessary expenses of the other spouse.. So they could try to hold you liable for those expenses.

.

But if you ignore them, they would have to file a suit against you and pay an attorney thousands to try to pursue this. And they can't attach any lien or judgment to your homestead if you owned it with your spouse. They may feel it is not worth the money to do so, and just settle to pester you for a while about the bills.

.

This is the law:

.

§ 55-37. Spouse not responsible for other spouse's contracts, etc.; mutual liability for necessaries; responsibility of personal representative.

.

Except as otherwise provided in this section, a spouse shall not be responsible for the other spouse's contract or tort liability to a third party, whether such liability arose before or after the marriage. The doctrine of necessaries as it existed at common law shall apply equally to both spouses, except where they are permanently living separate and apart, but shall in no event create any liability between such spouses as to each other. No lien arising out of a judgment under this section shall attach to the judgment debtors' principal residence held by them as tenants by the entireties or that was held by them as tenants by the entireties prior to the death of either spouse where the tenancy terminated as a result of the death of either spouse.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Lawyer