Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in ca. my lease was up at the end of july and I

I live in ca...

I live in ca. my lease was up at the end of july and I handed in my keys and moved out. My roommate is refusing to leave. He is mentally unstable and using illegal drugs. I am now being told I have to pay the rent? Please help

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not that I know of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I told the leasing office several times how sick my roommate was, the police were called several times too

8/9/2017
RealEstateAnswer
Have the police done anything? Has the management proceeded with the eviction yet? Did you sign the lease with this person?
The police have not done anything. I heard they were filing papers this week for the eviction. Yes we signed together. The lease was up in july
Thabnk you did the reply and please allow me a moment to respond.
From a legal standpoint, if you both are on the lease you both are responsible and the management can go after one or both of you for any lease violation. Even though you have vacated,the other party still remains so if they are holding over they can hold you in breach of the lease as well since you are on it and demand that rent be paid and/or name you in the eviction proceedings as well to make sure you can not return. The police could possible remove them and take them in for a mental evaluation if there is a legal basis to support it or arrest them if they are able to enter and see that they are in possession of drugs. However the management still needs to legally evict them to prevent them from returning and to make sure their property is removed as well.
RealEstateAnswer
thank you.
You are welcome.