P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
11181181

I received an interest in a mobile home lot via a

Customer Question

I received an interest in a mobile home lot via a beneficiary deed . the real property is located in Yuma, Az. The deed has a life estate too. The deed states that the life estate tenant is responsible for the real property taxes. Is the life estate tenant responsible for insurance, maintenance, repairs and upkeep for the real property. what az statues govern this matter
JA: Have the trust documents been finalized? What are the basic terms?
Customer: there is no trust. my interest in the real property was conveyed by beneficiary deed. the grantor died last year
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

There are no ARS (Arizona revised statutes) that deal with who is responsible for insurance/repairs, etc. You will not find that in the ARS's

It is, rather, common law (this is the form of law we use in the US). The rule is that the life tenant is responsible for paying all property taxes during his/her lifetime and thatordinary repairs, upkeep and maintenance: these are the responsibility of the life tenant; that person lives in the house and it is her/his obligation to preserve the property;

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wow! Thank you for such a quick response. I am an attorney in New York. The girlfriend is Not paying the fire insurance nor the hazard ins. She just cut down multiple trees that were just for shade and not causing an issue. How easy or difficult would it be to evict her from the premises? Is my cousin open to being sued if something happens and the life estate tenant is not living up to her responsibilities? How does one find an attorney in Yuma who has experience in these matters?

Are you the remainderman?