Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I have a mobile home in a mobile home park that I pay

$300.00 a month for I...
I have a mobile home in a mobile home park that I pay $300.00 a month for I own the mobile home. The park say that they are going to be fixing some of the things in the park like driveway and septic and well. They are say that the lot rent will be going up to $1000.00 a month to help with these repairs. My question is are they allowed to raise lot rent that high for something that they should have been keeping up in the first place.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: they put notice on the door and some people have gotten a notice in the mail. and this is stating that this is 30 day notice
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have not had a lease with the lot owners since I paid the trailer off which I purchased it from them. It was a rent to purchase agreement and I have not sign another agreement since that one ended around two or three years ago
8/7/2017
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

This depends...can you tell me, are you currently in a lease? If so, when does that lease expire?

No I don't have a lease. The lease I had with them expired once I paid for the trailer that I bought from them

Thanks
If there is no lease, they can raise the rent. That is one of the benefits of a lease...if you have a lease, the landlord is prohibited from raising the rent during the lease term. With no lease, the landlord is free to raise the rent, so long as they provide notice to you of the increase.
Now...MI law is unique, in that to terminate your rental agreement, the landlord of a mobile home park must have "cause" (so they can not just evict you...they have to have a valid reason, for example, if do not pay rent on time or otherwise violate the park rules). So, for example, they can not raise rent excessively as a basis to force you to move.

But they can raise rent to cover costs associated with running the park.

Can they raise to cover the costs associated with the proposed upgrades?

Yes...they can. So long as they are raising rents on all the tenants (and not just on a select few tenants)

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil

P. Simmons, Lawyer
P. Simmons, Lawyer