Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Who is liable, HOA or owner, when exterior water leaks

Customer Question
affect interior floor? Patio...
Who is liable, HOA or owner, when exterior water leaks affect interior floor? Patio door not caulked when bldg was resided and construction guy says underpayment likely wet, causing damage to hardwood floor. HOA wants to caulk over water leak and leave me with repair costs.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/7/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Bylaws normally provide for hoa to be liable for repairs. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up
I am keeping log. I asked HOA president to speak with inspector and called secretary. Secretary stated that " we did not pay for xxx repairs before he sold, so we probably will not pay for this". I am on board and was not part of that decision. If not to my satisfaction, I will contact local RE atty. I am in Illinois.
I would press for payment and if needed sue.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up