Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I live in independence Missouri. i just found out that a

Customer Question

i live in independence Missouri. i just found out that a place called CJ Real Estate put me on the can not rent to list bc they say i was evicted. i was never evicted. what can i do about it?
JA: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?
Customer: i donot lived there any more
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what can i do
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm very sorry to hear about your situation. As a renter myself, I can only imagine what it must be like to be on a list that says that you should not be rented two. Landlords are across your region or going to be very skeptical simply because of what is on the list. My recommendation would be to take action right away if this is fasle.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter stating that what they are doing is defaming you publicly. Defamation is basically a false and defamatory statement, published to a third party, that causes harm (usually a lessened reputation in the community, lost business opportunity, or other harms as the facts dictate.). in this case, it seems to me that the damage to you is the fact that no one would rent to you as a result Of their actions. Lawyers use letters like these on the regular basis to enforce their client’s rights. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation.

Although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.