Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

My room mate went to the Landlord and told her I am a drug

Customer Question

My room mate went to the Landlord and told her I am a drug dealer. It is a complete lie and the landlord served me with an eviction. Is this legal? I live in Reno, Nevada
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: nevada
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes by my room mate and by me
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I served my room mate and the Landlord with an affidavit and have a court hearing on August 17, 2017 at 1:30 pm
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.First landlord cannot evict without proof so it should be dismissed. Burden of proof on landlord.Roommate is liable for defamation and you could consider suing him.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up
Awaiting your reply