Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I had a home foreclosed on and sold in Charleston SC. Can a…

Customer Question
I had a home...

I had a home foreclosed on and sold in Charleston SC. Can a deficiency judgment be placed against my home in TN

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Attyadvisor, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attyadvisor
Attyadvisor, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. I will be the professional that will be assisting you.

The lender can seek a deficiency judgement

"Deficiency judgments are allowed in South Carolina. To obtain a deficiency judgment, the complaint should contain language that indicates the lender is reserving the right to a deficiency. If the lender waives the right to a deficiency judgment in the complaint, it cannot later get one (S.C. Code Ann. § 29-3-660 and S.C. Rules Civ. Proc. Rule 71(b))."

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/deficiency-judgments-after-foreclosure-south-carolina.html

Does you judgment contain the language stated above? If not they cannot file anything against your TN home.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.

Do you have any additional questions for me?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can it be placed against my home if it is in TN

I apologize if my response was unclear.

"Can it be placed against my home if it is in TN"

The answer is only if the lender had reserved the right for the deficiency judgment. If the lender did not follow the procedures they could not come after you for the deficiency nor could they file a lien against your home in TN.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit from the site for my work and time I would appreciate it.

Do you have any additional questions for me? Are you online with me?