Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm in a dispute with my realtor regarding damages I feel…

Customer Question
I'm in a dispute...

I'm in a dispute with my realtor regarding damages I feel are due because of misrepresentation, lack of full disclosure, and a series of lies. The closing is scheduled for Monday, August 7. The original closing was scheduled for June 30, but due to a severe hail storm and damage to our roof, it was postponed. That is when things went downhill. My question is, if necessary (meaning we don't get a satisfactory reduction in commission) can we put the realtor's commission in escrow until we get it legally settled?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been drafted or filed?

If by paperwork you mean the closing documents, yes, but not signed by us. My realtor is asking me to sign a "hold harmless" addendum, which we have not signed, of course.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

In Omaha, NE.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, there are a lot of details, but to much for this chat.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.On review of your facts, you have a good case.You or a lawyer should document the issues and communicate in a letter.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.Commission can be escrowed pending resolution.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow up
Please let me know, thanks.