Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If one of the couple abandons the other, is the party that…

Customer Question
If one of the...

If one of the couple abandons the other, is the party that leaves still half owner of the property? (ex: house) If so, does the party that left responsible for half the monthly mortgage payment??

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the property purchased during the marriage? Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?

Property was bought during the marriage. Yes to both halves of second question.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

What do you mean by anything?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Are both parties on the mortgage and title?

Are the parties planning to divorce? Has anything been filed?

Which state?

Are you online with me?

Tina, Lawyer