Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley,
Experience:  Owner at The Protection Group LLC
99092957

My mother wants to add me to the title of her home that i

Customer Question

my mother wants to add me to the title of her home that i live in. I was told that she could write a letter and have it notorized and give it to the bank is that correct?
JA: Have you talked to a real estate attorney about this?
Customer: No
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: california
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i am married and we havent decided if we want to add my husbands name. Will that be an issue?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Michael Bradley replied 2 months ago.
A notarized letter is not enough to add your name to the title. She would need to have a new deed drafted which at that point she could add your name to the title. I would suggest that it would be done under joint tenants with the right of survivorship which means that the last surviving person on the deed receives the property. The notarized letter would not be enough to transfer a title. Also, you must deal advised that if there is still a mortgage on the property that remains and even though your name is ***** ***** the mortgage it would still need to be satisfied before you have true ownership. You would not be able to add your husband's name on the deed unless your mother agreed as you are both still listed on the deed.