Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

What is Alabama law concerning a piece of personal farm

Customer Question
What is Alabama law...

What is Alabama law concerning a piece of personal farm equipment sitting on someone elses property? Is there a time frame before it becomes considered abandoned or deemed theirs?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, I have all original paperwork where it belongs to me, but the owner of the property is trying to sell it as theirs. My family member has passed away and the evil in law has become money hungry. We all shared the farm equipment. It sits in the deceased family members shed, but belongs to me. She will not allow me on the property to get it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/5/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley,
 replied 1 year ago
Michael Bradley

If the piece of equipment is titled and the title is in your name then it is clearly yours.

If it is not titled but you have the bill of sale that places it in your name it is yours as well.

Having it titled and in your name is ***** ***** bill of sale is fine as well.

If they will not release the equipment to you I would contact the police to see if they will help escort you on the property to retrieve it.

she can not sell what she does not legally own