Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Purchased rehab home 1.5 years, listed as better than new.

Customer Question
Purchased rehab home...

Purchased rehab home 1.5 years, listed as better than new. Decided to put in hardwood floors on 1&2 nd floor. Installer pulled back carpeting and all the sub flooring has large holes, some mold, and is particle board. This not disclosed, is seller responsible?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a real estate attorney about this?

Not directly, we did send over information for them to review.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We have contact a general contractor, they did a review and suggested we contact a structural engineer.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.Did seller mislead? Were there warranties?
home was listed as better than new, completely rehab nd remolded. Even the ceramic tile is cracking, buckling from the sub floor, which is particle board.
Thanks, ***** ***** of your facts, you have a good case.You can pursue on breach of contract theory to recover the difference in value plus costs.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.A local real estate lawyer could be used to negotiate and if needed, sue.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if that is acceptable and feel free to reply back and follow upHave a great weekend!