Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have two lots in oklahoma city, the title is still under…

Customer Question
I have two lots...

I have two lots in oklahoma city, the title is still under my uncle's name, he died in 1980 and i'm the only living relative that owns the property. am seeking to change the title of deed to my name and curios on how to go about it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you begun using the new name? Have you filed a petition in court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been approached by three real estate companies in oklahoma and signed 2 contracts of purchasing the property, but nothing can be done and working on getting the deed to transfer unto me for some reasons, someone else is paying the property tax on it, called the oklahoma treasurer and said that garrett company has been paying it. i have been paying the taxes on this property since my uncle passed away.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. There are some steps that you can take to get the deed transferred into your name. Without further information I would not be able to explain why some companies paying tax on the property. You may want to double check with your county recorder's office just to ensure that they haven't somehow obtained ownership in the property without your knowledge before your uncle's passing. Otherwise, if you follow these step-by-step instructions, then you will be able to get the deed properly transferred over into your name. This information comes from one of my more trusted sources that is faced in Oklahoma:

1. Get a certified copy of the deceased person’s death certificate. You will need to attach this document to a document I am going to discuss below. If the funeral home did not provide you with several certified copies of the death certificate, you can order one from the Oklahoma State Department of Health.

2. Get a copy of the Deed to the property, so you can provide an accurate legal description. If don’t have access to a copy of the deed, you should be able to find one through the county clerk or if you are in Oklahoma County, the county assessor’s website.

3. Notary. Sign the document in front of a notary who will notarize your signature. If you don’t have access to a notary, try your bank or a tag agent.

The rest of the information should be fairly self-explanatory.

7. Recording. The signed document needs to be taken to or mailed to the county clerk of the county in which the property is located. You tell the people at the clerk’s office that you want to record the deed. It should cost $13.00 for the first page and $2.00 for each page after that.

8. Original returned. The clerk will take the document, process it and give you back your original with a stamp on it showing a book and page.

And just like that . .. you are done! You now have legal proof that the surviving joint tenant is the sole owner of the property.”

Although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually. ask you

is there a form to attach this information?

Good question. Your county might require a form, but that's not likely. The only thing you'll need is a quit claim deed to fill out. You can go to Rocketlawyer.com or click here to buy one for something like $20. Did you have any other questions?

not right now.

Not a problem. The phone call requests are automatic:-). Any other questions for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer