Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
10285032

I had a company come to my home in September 2016 to do

Customer Question

I had a company come to my home in September 2016 to do waterproofing in the basement. They completed the job and installed an Easy Breathe machine which was to keep air flow and moisture movement. Everything was fine (or so I thought) until we had constant rain every day in June 2017. The moisture had built up so bad in the basement and caused severe mold growth. Everything in my livable basement was now ruined by the mold and had to be destroyed. The company representative came out and looked at the problem and admitted that the work was not done properly. They agreed to come back and re-do the work which entails digging up (jackhammering) the concrete floor again and digging deeper and sealing the cracks. They have not discussed with me the compensation for my loss as a result of the mold. I have had to gut my entire basement including walls, carpet, bedding, furniture, etc. This ordeal has been very devastating to say the least. I appreciate any assistance and support you can provide. Please contact me at(###) ###-####to discuss this issue.Thanks,
Clarence Jackson
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I sent my issue to BBB and TrustDALE. The company is endorsed by both. I have not heard back from either.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. Thanks
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If their negligence caused damage, then they are liable for that damage and cost of repair. In addition, they are liable to you for any loss of use and all other associated costs that are directly associated with their negligent work (including mold remediation and replacement of everything in the basement). So you can pursue them for all of the associated damages, not just the repair of their negligent work. If they will not pay for all of the associated damage, you can sue them for breach of contract/negligence for the amount of other damage you can prove you sustained as a direct result of their negligent work and they would be legally liable.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.