Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I rented an apartment in October of 2016. I received some…

Customer Question
Good morning. I rented...

Good morning. I rented an apartment in October of 2016. I received some documents from the apartment management company on Monday. The management company wants me to sign documents for the IRS for compliance with my low-income because it is a low-income apartment, but they pre-printed the date of 10/6/2016. Would it be a legal action for m to sign the documents? Would it be a legal action for me to write the current date and sign them? Thank you for the feedback.

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

It is a 2-year lease, written agreement. The documents are for the IRS. Thy have to be in compliance with the low-income aspect of the law. I signed the same documents in January of 2016, but they did not offer a lease until October of 2016.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Brooklyn, NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I don't have a problem signing the documents, but I do not want to commit fraud. Should I have the documents notarized?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, these documents are to be signed to verify income at move in. If they forgot to get them signed, it is not illegal to get you to sign the document now. What they are asking you is not illegal, the documents much match your lease date and you can sign them even though it is back dated.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.