Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

If someone has rented your house moves out CHANGES THEIR…

Customer Question
If someone has rented...

If someone has rented your house moves out CHANGES THEIR ADDRESS CAN THE OWNER ENTER THE HOUSE AND TAKEMPOSSESSION

Lawyer's Assistant: Does this involve a written or oral agreement? Is it a month-to-month lease or fixed term?

MONTH TO MONTH PERSON IS 2 MONTHS EHIND

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

GARY, INDIANA

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

PERSON ALSO OWES GAS AND ELECTRIC IN THE AMOUNT OF 1400.00

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/4/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Michael Bradley, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Michael Bradley
If you are 100% sure that the tenant has vacated the premises, they have moved out all of their possessions, change their address, then in my opinion they have abandoned the property. Since they have abandoned the property you can go in and prepare it to be rented again. If they have not vacated the property pursuant to the terms of the lease, giving you proper notice, paid everything that is due, I do think you still would want to file a landlord tenant Act to at least obtain an order of possession and also a judgement for any rents that may be owed prior to their leaving Plus for the back utility amount. While I understand that you did not use the utilities, they are going to have to be satisfied prior to a new tenant moving in as the utility owed will run with the property. I would also sue for that as well too and put that in your judgement
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley
Michael Bradley, Lawyer