Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

CAN YOU LOOSE EARNEST MONEY IF LENDER IS HOLDING YOUR LOAN…

Customer Question
CAN YOU LOOSE EARNEST...

CAN YOU LOOSE EARNEST MONEY IF LENDER IS HOLDING YOUR LOAN FOR 5 MONTHS BECAUSE THEY CAN'T RECEIVE FHA number till 8/27/2017?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been drafted or filed?

With who /

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Phoenix az

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You would need to look at your sales contract to see if there is a contingency for not getting the loan timely to close.If that is the case you should get your earnest money back even if it does not close.The title company holds the funds and determines if you made good faith effort to get loan prior to closing.It sounds like you did and this was beyond your control.In that situation if the deal doesn't close you would be due your earnest money . You will need to make a demand for return of funds through your realtor here. The seller may wait and see if it can close, sometimes they will extend.

I appreciate the chance to help you today, good luck here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.