Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

In 1999 I apparently had a second mortgage take out on my…

Customer Question
In 1999 I apparently...

In 1999 I apparently had a second mortgage take out on my property, in 2002 I had to claim bankruptcy, I don't remember paying directly anything to that loan, I was discharged from bankruptcy in 2005. I'm trying to get a equity line of credit and they are showing up as a lein to the property. The company Associated Financial Group cannot be located. I've searched multiple different ways, even the courthouse does not have any forwarding address or ways to contact them. How do I clear this or get a release. The mortgage company does not come up or any searches. Thank for any direction you can give me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is this a fixed-rate or adjustable-rate mortgage?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing has been reported, not even on my credit report

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so I just need directions on how to get this taken off my lien to my property

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Customer:***** Chesapeake, VA

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/3/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

If you cannot get a release of lien you are looking at a suit to quiet title to remove the lien.The court here in such a suit awards you cleared title and the orders serve as deed so that you can sell it or keep it free of the lien.You can keep trying but this is likely your next option.This is actually real common and thats why the law allows for such a suit.

Summary

A quiet title action is a lawsuit that is brought in circuit court to clear a party’s title to real property. The purpose of a quiet title action is to eliminate all claims to title, which might stand in the way of a title insurance company issuing a clear title insurance policy. Liens, claims by prior owners, and other matters affecting title are called “clouds” on title. The purpose of a quiet title action is to eliminate any of these “clouds” on title.

You will need local real estate lawyer to file such a suit.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Virginia Lawyer Referral Services  

Attorney referral service in Richmond, Virginia

Address: 1111 E Main St Suite 700, Richmond, VA 23219

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

Hours: Closed no

Thank you ��

You are so welcome the 5 stars are at top of page.

Ray, Lawyer