Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I'm leasing office space and have discovered mold. I came in

Customer Question
I'm leasing office space and...
I'm leasing office space and have discovered mold. I came in on a Fe
JA: Has the landlord been willing to address the situation? If not, what reason is being given?
Customer: HE
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: He said it wasn't his problem. J.c
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: what can I do as a tennant
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/3/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. This appears to be a violation of the implied warranty (promise) of habitability. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied warranty of habitability. Under the "implied warranty of habitability," the landlord is legally responsible for repairing conditions that seriously affect the rental unit's habitability. That is, the landlord must repair substantial defects in the rental unit and substantial failures to comply with state and local building and health codes. However, the landlord is generally not responsible under the implied warranty of habitability for repairing damages that were caused by the tenant or the tenant's family, guests, or pets. Additionally, usually in commercial spaces, the implied warranty of habitability does not apply. However, this does not mean that you would not be successful if you brought it to court and it does not mean that the landlord does not have a obligation to fix it. Because people spend much of their day in an office space, they could be subject to the harm that mold causes. So, even if the implied warranty of habitability is not apply, then they are breaching the contract because you did not bargain for such a health hazard.

To help facilitate the situation, you may want to click here to download a “Complaint to Landlord” template. The template only costs $10 and the company that owns the template sends it securely in an email usually 1-2 business days after your purchase.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer