Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Tina,, i purchased a log cabin home on 10 acres by Barkley

Customer Question
Hello Tina JA: What state are...
Hello Tina
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My name is ***** ***** purchased a log cabin home on 10 acres by Barkley Lake in Ky. Im a widow with a toddler at home and got a VA home loan due to my husbands Navy service. ive been here 6 weeks and im ready to walk away from my dream home due to a bat infestation and brown recluse spiders....Ive had 2 professional exterminator companies in and theyve sprayed several times and i have sprayed myself several times. I did have a pest inspection as well before i purchased and it never mentioned either of what im dealing with. the company that performed the inspection and the seller are aquaintances and my home is now not at all fit for myself or my child to be here...... I dont know how to handle this situation because Orkin stated it would cost thousands to get rid of the infestation and to tell you the truth, they seemed skiddish and didnt really want to attempt. the employee that comes to spray seems as though hes afraid himself. ive never in my life felt so many mixed feelings, it has me in an emotional srate that i cannot even be comfortable, relax nor even sleep because of the fear of being bitten or not to mention the diseases the bats carry... im frustrated and very angry as to how i deal with the pests and the sellers! Please help us, Dawn & My little man :(
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: to my mortgage co, the VA i called and asked them, they said get an attorney.... and its been reported to 2 exterminator co.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: this is a small town and i just moved here ...... i know absoliutely nobody other than the few ive met just in some of the local businesses....
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
8/3/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Damien Bosco, Attorney replied 3 months ago
Damien Bosco
Damien Bosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

So sorry to hear of your situation. Please help clarify some facts for me. Have you contacted the seller about it? Do you have insurance? Have you contacted the company that did the initial inspection prior to you purchasing it? Did the seller ever provide you a written disclosure statement? And if so, did they disclose any issues?

sir, ive contacted the sellers...... they acted extremely surprised but as though they had no idea! yes, i have insurance, homeowners and i took out a title ownership plan where we did the closing. it was a for sale by owner, we had no realtor involved.... i would have definatley gotten an attorney but i bought it from a preacher and his wife that live on the other side of my road....... they have several hundred acres and i cannot see them or their house from my cabin. they have a church in this town along with several churches in this town, it was beautiful when i saw it three times before i made an offer. the pest inspection came back with a few wood bees that made holes in the soffit area and they saw a termite on a peice of wood next to cabin on the ground..... my loan officer at quicken stated that the home be treated for termites and the wood eating pests.... the seller said no problem and three days later he faxed the report to quicken that stated it was $575.00 Treatment was applied and i can carry over with the sellers one year contract application for wood eating insects. i had no idea until i had lived here almost 3-4 days and could not believe the spiders i was seeing.... i called the company that did inspection to have them come out and spray for me,,,, they stated " your home wasnt treated for termites nor did it cost $575 for the service we performed.... the guy that came before only sprayed outside of the home and sprayed a termite peice of wood next to the home"..... i cvould not believe what i was hearing!!!! the service they charged seller that day was $129 i made them repeat it to ,me and he said it again! i asked them to come out to spray for me and they never came or returned a call! i had a friend of mine go up there and get a copy of services performed,,,,,,, little did i know they are aquaintances and i was realizing that day something wasnt legitamate!! i myself since then have had two professional companies come and spray several times in the past month.... and ive sprayed myself. im realizing im screwed and then everyday i clean bat poop, tramendous amounts off my patio and sidewalks that i just paid $5600 to have installed. i cannot even enjoy being outside for the smell and the swooping of bats at our heads. the poop is horrible and its ruining everything i own. the bats now are in a nesting season so im told and having babies.... uuuugh!! there are hundreds and probably thousands of them.... i see them in my vaulted ceiling popping their head down occasionally and i just freak out!!! the scratching noises at night and the fear im living with is killing me,!
my account has been charged $5 initially to ask a question when it was supposed to be free and according to my bank its been charged $49 again and i have no advice yet..... i cant do this ..... :( im a single mom with a toddler and need help
Tina, Lawyer