Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced lawyer
11313492

I am the executor to my uncles estate. He owned a home with

Customer Question

I am the executor to my uncles estate. He owned a home with no mortgage and lived in a nursing home until he passed. He ran out of personal funds and went on medicaid to help pay the nursing home, as his monthly pension and soctal security was about 2k short a month. His real estate taxes went unpaid for several years. The house did not sell and now the county has given me notice that they will auction the house off. I don't know what to do. He owes back taxes, medicaid wants their money and also the nursing home has unpaid bills. Should I try to sell the house to one of those companies that advertise that they buy houses in any condition? The house hasn't been lived in for 10+ years
JA: Is this a fixed-rate or adjustable-rate mortgage?
Customer: There is no mortgage on the house
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Southampton County VA
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want some input on whether to try to sell or let them auction it.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Is the property worth more than the claimed debts?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Maybe, not sure. Southampton County is a depressed County. I don't think there would be that much equity left, if any.

I think that is the issue, I would have it appraised for free by a broker to determine if its worth letting it go, or getting involved more and trying to salvage some equity!

that is a practical way to proceed!

Kindly let me know if that is fast and clear.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Your site stated free, $5, $49 and now an additional $59. Sorry, but I'm not paying the $59 additional funds.

Not a problem. The $59 is for a call, which we have not done. Its just the initial $49

is that alright?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Great, kindly rate me 5 stars, and if I may clarify anything now or later let me know. Happy to.