Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

I moved into the house I live in now in August 2008. At the

Customer Question

Hi. I moved into the house I live in now in August 2008. At the time I gave the owner a $33,000 down payment in hopes of getting financing and then the crash happened. I have done upgrades on the home. I have bought my own new appliances, some I am still paying for, which he says are now his. He told me today that I need to be out by the end of the month. I want to know if he has to give me back my down payment, and how soon. There is nothing in our papers that says he gets the money if I cannot secure financing.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Colorado, Denver
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I cant think of anything.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Does the contract state that it's contingent upon you receiving financing? Have you been trying to get a loan over the past several years?