Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

You own a home in Kentucky do you have to have house

Customer Question

You own a home in Kentucky do you have to have house insurance if you owe nothing on said house and do you have to have someone live in said house
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Boone county ,city of Florence in Kentucky
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: No this home is next door to my house, the owner moved out ten years ago. He pays his taxes. But uses this house to hoard everything he owns. The city mayor tell me as long as he pays the tax every year there is nothing they can do. The house is now looking run down an infested with racoons
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I'm looking for some type of city orrdance that could help me if I can get the city to write the same type for Florence Ky.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

You own a home in Kentucky do you have to have house insurance if you owe nothing on said house

.

No there is no law in KY that forces someone to carry insurance if they choose not to.

.

and do you have to have someone live in said house

.

No, there is no law that says you can't keep a house vacant as long as it is maintained and kept up to Code.

.

But if there is wildlife living there, that could constitute a health hazard and you can call the local Health Dept or Code Enforcement office and file a complaint about that. Further, if the property is so cluttered and packed as to be a fire hazard, the Fire Marshall can come out and cite the owner and force them to make sure that the house is up to Code and has all working smoke detectors and fire alarms.

.

If you contact the City Attorney and go in and sit down with some pictures of the property and your concerns, they can rattle a few cages of the local inspectors to go out and find some violations that can force the owner to clean the place up..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much