Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
4460311

Our east coast ocean-front community was hit terribly hard

Customer Question

Our east coast ocean-front community was hit terribly hard by Hurricane Matthew last October. Although our dunes ended up in many of the ocean front homes, they did indeed protect much of the community from the storm surge. To date, the dunes have not been rebuilt to help protect any of us from another surge. Issues: 1) local dune sand supplier jacked up the price to be unaffordable. I get supply and demand, but in this case, could that potentially be considered profiteering? 2) If the dunes are not replaced and we get another damaging hurricane could this be considered negligence by those who were to replace them? 3) Shouldn't the insurance companies be interested in getting the dunes replaced, as they will be the ones to pay damage claims? I'm looking for some potential leverage, as almost 10 months later we have no dunes. Thanks.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Damien Bosco replied 2 months ago.

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

Who is responsible for replacing the dunes? Who took out the insurance? Does the insurance cover replacing the dunes?

Hello. I have not heard back you. Are you still looking for help on your question? If so, please let me know. Thank you.